Tuesday, August 12, 2008

lechon kawali


This is definitely one of my all time favorites... I specially love it when it is cooked with the skin crispy like chicharon and the lining of fat a bit gooey... wow! yummy! I've been wanting to try and achieve that kind of lechon kawali but knowing that 'excitement' (tumitilamsik yung oil) of cooking it has kept me from doing it. Until one day when I felt brave and ready that's when I bought fresh pork belly and immediately cooked it when I got home. I boiled it with some salt, pepper and garlic until the meat was soft then I stored in the fridge for the day when I will be ready to face the boiling oil.


And I guess today is the day. haha! I woke up not well, hmmm not sick... but feeling down. So, I decided that this is the day to face the oil for my first attempt at lechon kawali. And here I am now blogging while waiting for the pork to cool down after the first deep fry, it's in the fridge by the way. I will be re-frying it in a while...


I reheat the pan and the half cooked belly is now sizzling in it, I put the cover and wait for the dreaded popping sound... til now I'm still a bit scared of it... good thing that it's not as scary at the first round. This time I just have to wait for the perfect shade of brown that I like then its done. Drain the oil, cut and serve with rice and vinaigrette. Ü



LECHON KAWALI

300-500 grams pork belly
4 cloves garlic
1 tbsp. salt
1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
oil for deep-frying

VINAIGRETTE SAUCE:
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
dash of salt and black pepper

Put the pork belly, garlic, spices and enough water to cover the meat, in a pan. Bring to a boil and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain well and let cool.

Deep-fry in hot oil until light brown in color, or for approximately five minutes. Drain and let cool.

Re-fry 2 more times or until golden and crisp.

Chop into serving pieces and serve with vinagrette sauce.

TO MAKE VINAIGRETTE SAUCE:
Put all ingredients in a bottle or leak-proof container and shake well until sugar is dissolved.

Servings: 4




PS: Sorry, due to some emotional chorvah I was not able to take pictures... but they said that it was good. Ü